Thursday, October 20, 2011

It started with a Romanesco

So, my first EVER blog. What better subject than food?


I shall commence by telling you what I made for dinner. I used mainly the contents of my Riverford organic box that is delivered to my door every Thursday morning by a rather charming man.


I have been making a dip recently that I have discovered goes with pretty much everything. Even cardboard. Or soil, depending on your level of hunger.


Pea and Mint dip:
3 hand fulls of frozen or fresh peas,
glug olive oil,
2 garlic cloves,
2 generous tea spoons dry horseraddish
juice 1/2 lime and squeeze of lemon,
2 table spoons of sour cream or similar.
Sprig mint,
Blitz in food processor.


Works well with crudites, pitta or flat bread, oat cakes...you get the idea.


I love winter. Like the fashion, the vegetables areso much more substantial and interesting. I love all the root vegetables and squashes, gourds and brassicas that are all so warming and comforting in soups and stews. One of my favourite vegetables is the Romanesco. Broccoli will always be the King of Brassicas, but the Romanesco, with its beautiful, bright green turrets, which are a prime example of phyllotaxis-the fractal patterning that appears in nature, is truly beautiful! This sweet, nutty, crunchy delight is a rich source of antioxidants, vitamins C and K and fibre. Just don't boil it to death, please. If you do I will HUNT YOU DOWN AND THRASH YOU!!


So, anyway, I lightly stir fried mine in olive oil, with finely sliced garlic, red onion, leek, and mushrooms. I then tossed in some yummy spelt tagliatelle and watercress and squeezed some lemon juice over it with a final splash of olive oil. It was bloody lovely.


I am happy to tell you I have some left over for my lunch tomorrow.


More delightful insights and recipes to come.


Eat well!


XX

No comments:

Post a Comment